Sunday, December 12, 2004

It doesn't get any better than this!

I had a wonderful day yesterday. I didn't do anything "special." I didn't go anywhere "special." Well, at least not what people would think of as special. I stayed home in the morning and got some work done around the house. Around noon it was time to rest, so I went out back and I sat with my dog. She did her usual sniff of the perimeter (lizard check) and then she came over and sat down next to me and pressed her body against my leg. I looked down at her with love and she looked up at me with love and we both sighed. We sat there looking out on the yard and watched as a small yellow butterfly flew from one weed to another.

The love I have for this dog...where the heck did it come from? I have always been a "cat person." After my parents gave away my dog when I was in 9th grade I sort of gave up on dogs. Besides, cats are beautiful, graceful, funny, loving (mine were), and (best of all) self sufficient. Dogs are needy, yappy, dirty, screwy, too much work. I believe this dog of mine was sent to me from above. She truly is a little angel. She has had a calming effect on the whole family. Having a moment to sit with her like that, feeling her body pressed up against my leg, I couldn't have been happier or more at peace. It just doesn't get any better than that!

No comments: