Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Return to Fallujah brings anger, despair

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Yasser Abbas Atiya swore he'd sooner sleep on the streets of his beloved hometown of Fallujah than spend another night in the squalid Baghdad shelter where his family had been squatting.

Thirty minutes after he returned home this past week, however, Atiya had seen enough. He left in disgust and had no plans to go back.

"I couldn't stand it," the grocer said. "I was born in that town. I know every inch of it. But when I got there, I didn't recognize it."

Lakes of sewage in the streets. The smell of corpses inside charred buildings. No water or electricity. Long waits and thorough searches by U.S. troops at checkpoints. Warnings to watch out for land mines and booby traps. Occasional gunfire between troops and insurgents.

I guess Yasser isn't too happy about the spread of "democracy."

No comments: